Eyes on the prize

Today, I want to take a different approach to my blog post. No recipes, no job descriptions. Instead, I want to pause and reflect on the journey I've embarked on nearly 10 years ago. It's a milestone that coincides with my upcoming graduation from college.


Over the years, I've undergone significant personal growth, which has played a crucial role in shaping the person I am today. I've learned to approach things more seriously, realizing the weight of responsibility. This mindset shift is particularly evident when I prepare for exams, fully recognizing that I'm personally financing my education. In fact, this semester alone, I had to take out a $12,000 personal loan to cover the costs.


There are days when I face tough choices, such as deciding between going to work to pay my bills or prioritizing my grades and success in nursing school. Making these problematic decisions has shaped my perspective and reinforced my commitment to taking things seriously.


However, this earnestness sometimes creates a divide between me and my peers at school. I often feel like an outsider, and while I've come to accept it, I acknowledge that it hinders my ability to connect deeply with them. Given the demands of my journey, I can't afford to invest significant time and energy in building relationships beyond casual exchanges like a simple "hello" or "goodbye."


On the other hand, I wonder if this is just an excuse to avoid confronting the reality that, at 34 years old, I find myself in a program predominantly filled with 20 to 22-year-olds, young women and men who belong to a different time with different priorities. It's challenging to relate to them casually because our lives are at different stages despite sharing the same direction and intentions.


Nevertheless, I'm grateful for the opportunity to pursue my dream of becoming a nurse. I'm also excited about the potential friendships that may emerge along the way. I understand that we are all unique individuals, and part of navigating relationships, regardless of age or gender, is recognizing who aligns with us and who doesn't, all while keeping our ultimate goal of graduating and becoming a nurse at the forefront. Ultimately, I recognize those who came before us are our connection to the past, and those who have come after us are our connection to the future. And there's something extraordinary about that. As always, I extend my gratitude to those who have read my posts, and I wish us all the best of luck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Introduction, Background, and Plans Going Forward

Where do we draw the line between being hard on ourselves and appreciating our accomplishments within reason?